J-1000 series Circular Dichorism
The J-1000 Series Circular Dichroism spectrophotometers are specifically designed for high sensitivity measurements in the near- and far-UV regions, for scientists that need confidence in the data from characterization studies of biomolecule structure, function, and stability under a wide variety of experimental conditions.
Unlike some detectors which only provide good signal-to-noise for low absorbing materials, the J-1000 Series circular dichroism spectrophotometers use high dynamic range detectors to obtain high-quality spectra of samples with excellent signal-to-noise, especially for highly absorbing materials found in the far-UV.
J-1100 : The basic, compact model for research, QA/QC and teaching applications.
J-1500 : Our highest performing model with a wide range of accessories for maximum flexibility.
J-1700 : UV, Visible, and NIR measurements up to 2500 nm for MCD and specialized applications.
High-Throughput CD : Automated high-throughput screening system [J-1500-HTCD High-Throughput Circular Dichroism system]
Advanced Features of the J-1000 series
- High optical throughput
- Double prism monochromator providing low stray light
- Wide dynamic range PMT detector
- Highly efficient nitrogen purge system
- Digital signal processing
- Simultaneous Multi-Probe: CD, LD, HT, DC, absorbance, fluorescence
Unique Benefits and Accessories
- Compact benchtop footprint
- Range of precise temperature control accessories
- High-throughput automated CD
- Automated titration and stopped-flow
- Spectra Manager™ software for control and extensive data analysis
- Flexible design allows field upgrades for different measurement capabilities as applications and budgets evolve
Versatility for a Wide Range of Applications
- Protein conformational studies
- Quantitative analysis of pharmaceuticals
- Formulation studies
- Protein folding studies
- DNA/RNA interactions
- Enzyme kinetics
- Purity testing of optically active substances
- Natural products chemistry
Exceptional Stray-Light Rejection
The double polarizing prism monochromators of the J-1000 series result in stray light lower than 0.0003%, enabling the instruments to obtain high-quality CD data even under conditions with high absorbances.
High Sensitivity and Wide Dynamic Range of PMT Detector
The PMT detectors used in the JASCO system are specially selected for the highest sensitivity and lowest birefringence. The wide dynamic range of the PMT detector ensures that large variations in signal intensity can still be detected, even for highly absorbing samples. The result is superior linearity between concentration and absorbance compared to other types of detectors including solid-state APD and CCD detectors.
The gain on a PMT detector is much larger (107) than most detectors, and therefore the signal amplification is larger. Under conditions with adequate light intensity, this typically leads to a larger amount of noise and therefore a lower S/N ratio. However, under conditions where there is a small amount of light hitting the detector (i.e. far-UV region), the gain of the PMT allows for good signal amplification at very low noise, increasing the S/N ratio.
Highest S/N Performance
The high S/N (signal-to-noise) performance of the J-1000 series is achieved by a high throughput optical system and low-noise signal processing. RMS Noise < 0.004 mdeg (185 nm) for the J-1500 and J-1700, < 0.03 mdeg (200 nm) for J-1100.